Zeitoun Book Club Projects
PART 1 = TYLER, LEON, AND WILL
PART 2 = AMELLIA, LUC, NIKKA
PARTS 1 AND 2 = KAILI AND LAILA
People form book clubs to meet new people, socialize, share a good book and explore issues in literature. Because we are a small group of people reading books together, we might as well form a book club!
In this book club, your job is to create a simple presentation of your assigned chapter(s) for your classmates. In this presentation, you must create a powerpoint/word document in which you
- Summarize your assigned chapter(s).
- Explain the main theme of your chapter(s) in at least 5 sentences.
- Come up with an Essential Question to ask the class based on this theme. An essential question is a question without a right or wrong answer and can therefore lead to a discussion. For instance, “Is there a God?” is an essential question while “What does it say on page 111 of the Koran?” is not.
- Essential questions are universally applicable and can be answered by anybody, even if they have not read the book. In other words, do not directly refer to the book in any of your questions. Additionally, do not use the word “you” in any of your questions as that limits the universality of the questions.
- Come up with 2 Sub-Questions to make sure that your discussion lasts at least 5 minutes. Sub-questions are similar to the essential question, but are more specific and reveal the opinions of the different group members. For instance, if the Essential Question is “Who is responsible for the Jewish Holocaust?” a good Sub-Question would be “How should Jews be compensated for their losses?”
- Come up with 1 Devil’s Advocate Question that reflects a contrarian point of view and forces the group to think about their assumptions. For instance, if the subject were the Holocaust, a Devil’s Advocate Question would be something like “Why should people today have to pay for crimes of the past?”
- Create a word/powerpoint document with all of this information and send it to your teacher at firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 PM Monday.
- Print your powerpoint/word document and give it to me at the beginning of the period.
- Come to class Tuesday prepared to stand up in front of class, present your work and lead a discussion based on your questions.
- Not coming to class prepared to do your book club will lead to the automatic deduction of two grades on the project. As with all assignments, the later you turn it in, the less points you get.