Mexico: From Independence to Revolution Part 3: Homework
First, read over the packet, highlight/underline the main points from each paragraph and define all of the words in bold.
Then, answer the following questions in full sentences (at least two sentences per question). Be sure to support your answers with evidence from the reading.
Part 1: The Diaz Years
- How did Porfirio Diaz come to power? How did he manage to stay in charge of Mexico for 33 years?
- What did Diaz realize after visiting the U.S.? How did he attempt to achieve this goal?
- How did Diaz’s land policies affect Native Americans?
- What was one of the positive economic developments under the Diaz regime? How did this development hurt ordinary Mexicans?
- How did urban workers fare under Diaz’s presidency?
- Why did Diaz allow Francisco Madero to run against him in an election? Given what happened afterward, was this a smart move? Why or why not?
Part 2: The Mexican Revolution
- Why did Emiliano Zapata revolt against Francisco Madero?
- What led Victoriano Huerta to take power? How did his decision to murder Madero backfire on him?
- How did Venustiano Carranza gain recognition from the United States?
10.Why did Pancho Villa launch attacks against civilians in the U.S.?
Part 3: The 1917 Constitution
11.What were some of the lasting reforms established by the Mexican Constitution?
12. Why do you think Carranza and subsequent Mexican presidents did nothing to enforce the Mexican Constitution? What does this have to do with Mexican immigration to the United States today?